How strong is diamond actually compared to other materials?
Engineers have been working for at least a century on developing ever stronger materials.
For a long time metals were promising, but in recent decades new nanomaterials have proven to be the strongest on earth.
This is the top 5 of the strongest materials currently known.
1. Carbyn Strength: 60-75 MNm / kg Carbyn is a new material that consists of threads of carbon atoms bonded by alternating triple and single bonds or by double bonds. Carbyn is stronger and stiffer than all other materials. It is 200 times as strong as steel and twice as strong as the number 2:
2. Graphene Strength: 47-55 MNm / kg
3. Carbon nanotubes Strength: 43-50 MNm / kg
4. Diamond Strength: 25-65 MNm / kg
5. Zylon Strength: 3.8 MNm / kg
The strength of the materials is measured in relation to their weight and the unit is MNm / kg. That means meganewton meter per kilogram, the force that a fiber of the material resists divided by the density.